Child Of God

*.* Child of God *.*

Name: Cherlyn Ong
Birthday: 13 June
School: NUS YLLSOM
Age: 19

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trals of many kinds, because you now that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
James 1:2-5
Leaderboard
Create your own Friend Test here



*.* Previous Posts *.*


*.* My Friends *.*

Cheri
Cheryl
Joel
Hongzhou
Soon Ann
Dorothea
Esther
Stella
Timothy
Andy
June
Jocelyn
yvonne
emerald
steph
Helen
Nicky
Margaret & Suwan
Daryl
Cheri
Isaac
Ivan
Harry
Joshua
Yaoyang
06S74 blog
Songbook
blogger
blogskins
ourworld
Worship Comm
online photo album
Huangcheng
Guitar
campusmoblog
address book
cbox
PA/AVA forum
studentsketchpad
truefriendtest
HC Guitar photo montage 06/07

*.* Archives *.*






adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!


Created by Charisma
Found at Blogskins

Thursday, May 29, 2008

*.* Moments in Time *.*

Just thought I should give some updates...just in case people think I've been hiding in a cave all this while...heh :)

Wow....a lot has happened.

After leaving HSBC, I stayed at home for a week...then I fell sick...which is normal...but then I got mysterious rashes also...haiz...literally hid in the dark for 3 days. After many doses of antihistamines (including a jab), the swelling of the colonies went down (praise the Lord!) but the colour was pretty awful. Till today, the areas with rashes have a different colour tone from the rest of my normal skin colour...haha... hopefully it'll get better by...hmm...the end of the year (that's 6 months more!) :)

Oh yeah... I should talk a bit about Uni stuff. Since Sec 3, I really wanted to be a doctor. Many events, as well as a developed interest in human biology, shaped this desire. God is really good, and his unceasing mercy allowed me to do relatively well for my A Levels, so I got shortlisted for Medicine. We had to prepare a portfolio ( consisting of a portfolio, a resume and 2 recommendation letters), go through an essay and psychometric test, as well as 2 interviews... Here's what I wrote in my personal statement...

In life, we get so caught up with work, achievements, popularity and relationships that we sometimes forget one crucial thing: the very fact that we have life. My wake-up call came three years ago, when a friend of mine committed suicide and jumped to her death. At the age of sixteen, I suddenly came face to face with the fragility of life, and realised how much a life is worth. The theme of life flows through every blood vessel of the healthcare industry, and people’s lives are something I want to keep fighting for, for the rest of mine.

I had the privilege of taking part in two healthcare-related attachments in the last two years, firstly to the National Healthcare Group, and then to the Singapore Cancer Society. I fondly remember my experience at Alexandra Hospital, watching professional therapists, nurses and doctors working side by side with the common goal of taking care of patients. The most memorable period was when I assisted a physiotherapist with patients who had suffered strokes or sustained injuries and could not move with ease or independently. It really touched me to know that as inexperienced as I was, the small amount of help actually contributed to each patient’s recovery process, and their progress was indeed heartwarming.

The one-week stint with Singapore Cancer Society showed me a very different side of healthcare. Instead of offering a cure, the nurses offered the terminally-ill cancer patients palliative care, including home visits, medicine, food and other basic necessities. With an intrinsic optimism, I used to have big, noble thoughts about saving a great number of people if I became a doctor. My visits to patients’ homes proved otherwise. Even the most highly-skilled healthcare professionals can be made powerless when battling against certain sicknesses or circumstances. However, this makes every battle precious, and every victory priceless.

On a lighter note, medical dramas like House and Grey’s Anatomy have definitely played a part in fuelling my interest in Medicine. These larger-than-life shows have actually brought out certain critical aspects of being a good doctor— professionalism, humility, compassion and level-headedness—and have reminded me to hold onto these qualities.

The road towards the biggest age in teen-hood has not always been smooth, but the treasures I have picked up along the way, including a love for people, music, smiley faces, dry humour, sudoku and God, have given me the strength and passion to lead a fulfilling life. Having the honour to serve others as a doctor in the future will bring joy to my heart, and hopefully to those around me too. I leave you with my very own riddle…J


Question:
How did the comedian break his bones?

Answer:
He cracked up at his own joke.



Did I really send that in? Yep:) Anyway, I felt the essay was horribly done...didn't think that question would come outm even though a similar one came out during my nursing intervew. But...I was just relieved after it was done (did I mention how much I "love" writing essays?) Then came....the Interviews. On the overall, they were fine, actually. Pretty tough questions...I know I stumbled for some, but I was prepared for the preparable ones...haha. It's a good thing I love studying...and thanks to Sarah's good advice, I read quite a number of medical articles and journals, which had pretty useful content.

Oh yeah...the outcome. (almost forgot :P) Yay...I got in! :) (momentary pause) Thank you, God. I'm at a loss for words, actions, thoughts or anything I could possibly do. These 4 years have not been easy for me...hoping and dreaming that my will is in sync with yours. Thank you for blessing me and making this dream (my biggest, so far) come true...

This month, I started a new temporary job as an HR Assistant at the National Dental Centre. It's pretty much admin-based since a lot of the documents are confidential. I don't get to do much, but I've picked up quite a bit about HR via the things that I do get to do, as well as conversations in the office. Seems interesting enough, but not what I would do for a long time:)

Countdown to start of school: 2 months +
Countdown to my birthday: 13 days:) I'm going to be 19. Wheeeeeee! (still as childlike as ever)

I hope this year ahead will be exciting and memorable. I want to bless many people too :) Ah... many things to dream about:)

Me blogged @ | 11:49 PM